Sunday, May 6, 2007

Modern ‘foot washing’


My wife knows the meaning of modern foot washing. She is from Korea, so she is living in Virginia with me on a Green Card (Permanent Resident Card). Because of this, she has not yet got a job – and now that I’m leaving for Iraq, we decided to wait until my return for her to find work.

I, on the other hand, work all day on the military base. She is ready to talk when I return, and too often, I am tired and want silence after working all day with people. I do my best to understand this and I try to spend quality time with her at day’s end.

On a recent day however, I was pushed to my limits at work. People were demanding, I was behind on a project, and I had a mound of homework waiting for me at home. Kyoung can tell when I come home burned. I got home late this day, and she saw my face. Then she ushered me away to do homework while she prepared dinner, again by herself.

We ate. I couldn’t talk much because my brain was pushing against my skull. I felt a sore throat threatening to break into a cold. After eating, I finished off the last of my homework. It was only 8:30, but I just couldn’t squeeze any more energy out.

“Kyoung,” I said with sigh. “I’m too tired to do anything else. I’m so sorry. I just want to go to bed.” She understood me; despite her loneliness and desire for company she put me before herself and encouraged me to sleep.

As I closed my eyes back in the bedroom, I heard her start washing dishes from dinner. I hated myself. But sleep took over fast. And after this I had only one more waking moment before sleeping through the night.

I had already fallen asleep for about 30 minutes, but was awakened from someone touching my palm.

It was my wife, Kyoung, applying lotion to my dry hands. She then put Carmex on my chapped lips. “Who is this you gave me to marry, God?” I thought. “What kind of woman is this who forgets herself for me?” This is who my wife is: a servant of God. She treats me like she would treat Jesus were he here. I have a lot to learn from her. God help me to be like that to her, and everyone I know.
If you are reading this and have other examples of great service, please share them with me so we can all benefit.

1 comment:

Me :) said...

You truly have a blessing, in your wife. Proverbs 31:10.